What is Community Education?
Austin area Community Education is an opportunity for local citizens, community schools, agencies and institutions to partner in providing education opportunities for both youth and adults.
Community Education embraces these beliefs:
- Education is a lifelong process.
- You share a responsibility for educating other members of the community – birth and up.
- You have a right and responsibility to be involved in:
- Determining educational needs – suggest a class or teach one to address a community gap or need.
- Identifying who can be a resource to teach community education classes – if you know someone who has a great hobby or passion to share submit the suggestion to Community Education.
- Linking community needs and resources to improve your community.
Who can Enroll in Classes?
Community Education provides programs in after school enrichment, youth and adult classes, youth and adult day trips, adult multi-day travel, and opportunities for adults with disabilities.
Community Education is open to anyone.
When are Classes Offered?
Depending on the class, it can be offered during non-school days, after school, in the evenings or on weekends. Each class is different. Check upcoming classes being offered to see when they will be held.
Classes may be offered during the fall, winter, spring and summer. Typically, Community Education prints two catalogs during the year that list most of the upcoming classes for that timeframe — winter/spring and summer/fall. Summer is dedicated to youth programming.
Do you have a Skill to Share and Want to Teach a Class?
We would love to have you teach a Community Education class!
You can become an instructor and offer a class within the community and Austin Community Education will help make it happen by announcing the class to your target audience through targeted marketing and our Facebook page.
If you have ideas for future Austin area Community Education classes or know people who would be great instructors to teach a specific class, fill out a Community Education Class Planning form or contact Community Education via email or by phone at 507-460-1706.
If you are interested in running a Sports Class or Camp, please fill out the Community Education Sports Class Planning Form.
Community Education Office: 507-460-1706
Community Education Coordinator
Community Education Assistant
Events and Marketing Coordinator
Sarah Wermager Hernadez
More Than Pink Coordinator
Community Education is proud to be part of Austin Public Schools, where we strive to empower all learners for life.